Wednesday, November 26, 2008

To Write or Not Too Right, That is the Question

Commonly confused words often plague even the best of writers. Following are some methods I've devised to help overcome the "which one is it?" syndrome for a few of the most confusing of these word devils.

Substitution method:

Affect (alter); Effect (result)

Try substituting the word Alter or Result in your sentence. If Alter works, use Affect. If Result works, use Effect.

Examples:
Global warming will (alter) affect the environment.
We are already feeling some (results) effects of global warming.

Who (he); Whom (him)

Examples:
Give the job to (whoever, whomever) is best qualified. He is best qualified; so, give the job to whoever is best qualified.
I don't know (who, whom) to send the invitation to. Send the invitation to him; so, I don't know whom to send the invitation to.

Linked Letters
Compliment means to give praise.
Complement means went well with.

Examples:
My boss compliments me when I finish a task early.
The red wine complemented the steak fondue.

Hope this helps. More later.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment